Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lost In Jersey


The past weekend caused for more loss than gain but at least I've learned a few lessons from it. I don't want to wine and complain too much about the past weekend in New Jersey regardless of how ridiculous it was or how frustrated I got while it was happening. But basically I went into the start of Saturday's race already defeated from the 9 hour drive on Friday combined with not being able to find the course until it was almost too late. When I got there the rider start sheet was already being printed for my race but the women at registration were kind enough to let me sign-in and start. After going out fast, I gradually started to feel the affects from the non-existent warm-up and started going slower and slower until I was just riding my bike around at a leisure pace. After cruising for a while I decided that with four laps to go I should try and open up the legs for Sundays race so I proceeded to race my bike for the rest of the 60 minutes. Oh yeah I forgot that about two laps into the race I pinch flatted my front tire on a chunk of concrete. Just happy to be done with the day I headed to host housing where I was fortunate enough to have a nice, nutritious, and relaxing dinner with the Gordon family. After a good night's sleep I had higher hopes for Sunday's race and was pleasantly suprised when my uncle Tom, aunt Diane and her sister Beth rolled into the parking lot to watch the race and cheer me on. I started off the day well finding myself in the top three for the first lap and a half and gave them something to cheer about when I attacked the large group of 10-11 after passing throught the start finish. I was hoping to shed some of the other riders in the group but did a better job of dislodging myself after staying on the front for the remaining lap. Jonny Sundt was back a ways but was watching the lead group and yelling at me to relax and be smart, good advice considering that I was doing too much too soon. From that point on I quickly self-detonated and could feel the fatigue in my legs resisting my forward movement. Ka-pow! After that my body and mind had had enough and I felt like ending the season right then and there. I ended up finishing 17th on Saturday and 12th on Sunday making for a some what dissappointing weekend considering I was banking on earning needed UCI points for the upcoming US Grand Prix weekends. To top it all off I now have to try and rid a cold before the coming weekend.

No comments: